Sunday, June 24, 2012

It Smells Like Birthdays in Here

(June 2012)

June is birthday season for Mike and I.  My birthday is June 14th and Mikes birthday is June 21st exactly one week later.  It's great to have my birthday first because I can see what Michael does and act accordingly for his birthday (hahaha).  The truth of the mater is that we have never spent our birthdays together outside of a hospital :( Which, including our most resent birthdays have been three.

Our first birthdays together were depressing to say the least. Mike was still pretty much in a coma and I was not in a partying mood.  I tried to cheer myself up so I made Mike bye me these super cute impractical shoes:
I must admit there cuteness did make me feel a little better.

For Mike's birthday I decided he needed to look less like a hospital patient and more like a BYU fan so I bought him a BYU jersey.  The problem was that because he still had a trach in at the time, he could not put it on like a normal shirt.  So being the smart UofU graduate that I am, I cut a slit up the back so he could just slide it on like a hospital gown. I tried to party with him but it was kind of a bust for both of our birthdays.

The following year was much better Lauri talked to Mike about what to get me and he basically told her (through a series of eye blinks) that he trusted her to pick me out a gift.  So he gave me a mini Ice cream maker which I love.  I'm glad Michael knows when he is in over his head and lets his mom take over.  We had a lot of fun and went to Sonic for Icees.



Mikes Birthday was not quite as fun but not due to lack of effort. I decided he needed something great so I blended up an In-N-Out burger (animal style) and some animal style fries. Michael was able to eat soft things pretty well at the time so he was able to have his favorite In-N-Out burger for his B-day (I guess this part worked out well).




 I also wanted to have a bonfire party for him but due to the difficulty of getting around and Michael's early bird tendencies, it ended up being a party in the park mid-day with a mobile fire pit.  I would say it worked out great but that would be quite the exaggeration.  It was such a hot day and the walk to the park was kind of long. By the time we got there, Mike was overheated and exhausted.  Then the smoke from the little fire kept blowing in his face which made him cough endlessly.  Poor Mike was sweating in the heat with smoke blowing in his face and bugs flying all around while he sat uncomfortably in his wheelchair.  I know he loved seeing his friends but I think he wished it was under more comfortable circumstances.  (I lost all my pictures of this b-day when my phone got stolen)

The good thing about me is I live and I learn so this year I tried to do it right.  For my birthday I kept it low key so I could save my energy for Mikes birthday.  My mom was in town so she hung out with me and Mike for my b-day.  We opened presents with Mike, then went out to dinner, came back, and just watched a movie.  Mike gave me a date in a box so the next date night I don't have to think of what to do.


A week later having been rested up I was ready to party for Mike.  Lauri was able to get some time off work and come to town so I followed suite and also took the day off work.   We started the party early we arranged for a transport van to pick Mike up at 10 am to bring us to Bridal Veil Falls up Provo Canyon.  After a crazy van ride which Lauri described as "Mr. Toads Wild Ride", we made it to Nun's Park and hiked up to the falls. Our driver was nice enough to go with us a first to get some pictures. 


Mike loved the hike and the falls we sat and watched them for a while.  I asked Mike how many girls he tried to seduce at these falls.  With a big smile on his face, he raised his hand and started counting with his fingers.  I'm not sure the total number because he can only count to five but I discovered I wasn't the first girl he has gone to Bridal Veil Falls with.  We went for a walk then back to the Falls.  I gave Mike some rocks and like the boy he is, he threw them into the creek.  It was hard for him to get the fluid action of throwing but with practice he got pretty good at it.



It was time to go and we were all happy, what a great birthday adventure.  Once we got back we rested up, watched some crazy videos his nephews sent him, finally opened his presents, and invited friends and family over for cupcakes.  Mike had some fun old friends come and some of my family that lives close by.  It was an enjoyable evening.  Michael loved all the visitors and gifts and was worn out but happy by the end of the day.  I guess it just took some practice and help from his mom to finally have a successful birthday. 






2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great birthday, Mike! Kurt enjoyed visiting with you. I wanted to come with him, but I had to stay behind and wrangle the boys. I would have brought them with me, but if they saw you wearing your BYU paraphernalia I have no doubt they would have given you a hard time as they are die hard Ute fans ;) Hope you are well. ~kanani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scandalous! That's hilarious that he started counting how many girls he's brought there, haha! I'm glad you had such good birthdays together. Happy belated birthdays!

    ReplyDelete