Monday, July 2, 2012

Lauri, woman of mystery

(July 2012)


I'm usually pretty self-centered when it comes to my blog posts but today I'm going to deviate and write about Lauri (Mikes Mom). It also happens to be here birthday today (coincidence?)


I liked Lauri before I even met her. When we were dating, Michael would tell me about his mom and I couldn't help but be impressed. Let me give you a little back ground: Lauri is a mother of 3 great kids, Michael (is the oldest), Katie, and Jeff, which she raised with her wonderful husband Kevin. When her children were mostly grown, Kevin got a very aggressive form of cancer and passed away. Lauri finished raising the youngest (he was 15 at the time) and went back to school. After getting her bachelor degree, Lauri moved from California to Arizona by herself. There she did more schooling and got her master’s degree. During all this she also taught seminary, worked as a long term substitute teacher (she taught almost every subject known to man), and held her family together all alone.
I liked Lauri not only because she is impressive but because I could relate to her. Being a single girl who was making her own way in life, I could understand where Lauri was coming from and I felt that she could do the same for me. After meeting Lauri for the first time my feelings about her were confirmed and I liked her even more. Plus she is such a classy lady so I had even more to aspire to. I was excited to be a part of the family and to get to know her better.

The first time I me Lauri (Christmas with Lauri, Jeff, Mike and Lucky)

Then "The Accident" happened and ready or not Lauri and I were thrown together. At the time, Lauri and I had only spoken on the phone once for a very brief, awkward conversation. Now we were discussing life and death on a daily basis. Right off the bat it wasn't "I'm the MOTHER you're just the fiancé" we were a team trying to get through this tough situation together. We made every decision together, prayed together, counseled together, cried together, and laughed together. It took me awhile to realize how amazing this was. I have heard stories of similar situations where the family comes in and immediately puts the fiancé or even the spouse in the back seat. This never happened to me I was always treated as an equal by both the family and the hospital and I am SO grateful.

I have such a great love for Lauri. I feel like Ruth and Naomi from the Old Testament, well besides the leaving my family (I have a great and supportive family and mother) and being a widow thing (Michael is very much alive). Lauri is a righteous woman with so much faith and endurance it is amazing I am constantly learning from her. We have been through so much together and because we are both single woman, we rely on each other for support.
Lauri has left Michael in Utah so we can be together. She travels up every other weekend from Arizona to see Michael and take care of the constant barrage of issues that seem to always surround us. She stays with me when she comes and it is always the highlight of my month. We always have plenty to talk about, although, we seem to talk about the same things over and over. Because we have each other, we don't need a therapist or to annoy those around us by tell them the same things over and over again. We also have fun and try to do some sort of girl adventure every couple of months, so far we have;
been camping,





 hiking,

snow shoeing,

bike riding,

picnicking,


pottery painting, shopping, cupcake eating, and walking. This Saturday we will add to our adventures by doing a 5k. Yes Lauri just turned 55 and she is going to run a 5k see how impressive she is?

Now you know Michael has an amazing mother (if you didn't already know that).  We have become great friends and I won't admit to how many times we call each other. I couldn't do this without her.
 

6 comments:

  1. You two are both amazing to me! I love you both and what a great tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both are amazing. AMAZING! (Capital letters seem more appropriate for how amazing you both are)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't tell me you were going to make me cry for my birthday. I guess that is the least you could do after the birthday text about being old enough for senior discounts.

    Loveyou! We do make a great team and I couldn't do it without you either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She IS an amazing, classy woman! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I came over here from Lauri's blog and have been reading for almost an hour I think. I have known about Michael ever since "the accident" (I am a friend of Katie's- Michael's sister- in Ohio) and have been praying for him since. Your love is incredible. I have met Lauri a few times and I know she is incredible. Michael is so lucky to have you both. I love to read updates about him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I agree. Lauri is a great, positive example of a strong, righteous woman.

    ReplyDelete