Sunday, May 20, 2012

Today

(May 20 2012)

Well I guess we better talk about how Michael is doing now.  Today Michael is doing great! Great is a subjective term but if you take into account where he has been, what he has been through, and his prognosis (I will discus this in a later post) he is doing great. 

Communication and social skills: 
Michael can't talk (yet) but he can definitely communicate our communication mainly consists of eye blinks, thumbs up or down, smiles, scowls or angry looks, grunts, and my favorite sarcastic smile/look when he thinks I'm being stupid you would be surprised how often he gives me this look (or maybe you wouldn't).  I often think that Mikes communication skills aren't much different then most men so I don't know how much we are really lacking here. 

He still has great social skills everyone who comes in contact with him can't help but to like him.  I keep a wary eye on any cute CNA or visitor because they can't help but fall under his trance.  He loves visiting with people especially kids he will often give them a smile and listens intently to what they have to say.  He also likes shooting his close friends and brother with his Nerf gun (Disclaimer: I may be responsible for giving Mike the gun but I am not responsible for where he aims it).

Moving or not moving:
Michael is still bed bound he does get up into his wheelchair several times a week.  He has a therapist working with him on his mobility and he also has a speech therapist who mainly works on teaching him to eat and communicate.  I can't believe that Mike has to be coaxed into eating. He has great control over his left hand and arm and uses it to push you away when you are annoying him, play bad mitten with a balloon (his reflexes are a little slow), punch your hand or a balloon, use a pointer to point, scratch my back with a back scratcher, fly a paper airplane (it took a lot of work but he did it), and play the Wee I got him for Christmas (to name but a few).  He can move his legs and other arm but he is lacking skill but he is getting better and better at it. 

I like to play games with Michael his favorite is Uno probably because he almost always wins.  I make him hold his cards and he has to decide which ones to play. I will give him choices and he will tell me yes or no (either eye blinks or thumbs up-down).  We have also played Tic-Tac-Toe, I will use a white board and Mike uses his stick to point where he would like to go I have tied him but I have not bet him (yet).  My favorite game to play with Mike is either thumb wrestle (I have little thumb wrestling costumes they are so cute), or who can grab the stick first.  I will set his plastic pointer stick on his lap then I will raise my hand above my head and say go who ever grabs the stick wins.  Mike has the advantage because his hand is closer but I have an advantage because I don't have head trauma.

Mood and spirits:
Michael is in great spirits he sometimes gets in a  grumpy mood but they don't last long and I don't blame him.  In general he is a very happy guy who is able to lift my spirits and brings joy to those around him. I am impressed with his peace and patients as he goes through this trying ordeal. 

I wanted this post to be as up to date as possible so the picture I am including was taken today right after Mikes church.

No comments:

Post a Comment