Saturday, May 19, 2012

The End and the Beginning

(March 2010)
I guess the first thing to write about is what is now referred to as "The Accident" It happened March 2nd around 12:15 am.  Mike and I had just spent a wonderful evening together, we both had work to catch up on so we sat together on the couch with our laptops and did work (like the nerds we are).  We ended the evening with a deep discussion about our future and if we thought we were ready to get married and face hard things that would surely come (if we only new).  When saying goodbye Michael was super sweet he would take me in his big arms and telling me how much he loved me and was actually getting emotional as he talked he did this a few times.  He often told me that he loved me but this was so intense he really wanted me to know.  I was thinking how sweet but we are just saying good night and I would see him the next day.

Michael left my house on his motorcycle and headed home (20 min drive) down State Street.  About 5 mins into the drive he came to a stop light that was green a proceeded through it.  As he was going through the intersection an SUV going the opposite way took a left hand turn cutting right in front of his motorcycle.  He laid down the bike like a good biker for more protection, I'm not sure what happened next but when all was said and done Mike was stuck under the SUV and totally unconscious.  It took paramedics a long time to get him out from under the SUV then he was life flighted to Utah Valley Medical Center.  The details of the accident are a little fuzzy for me I just know the basics and to be honest I don't really care to know more.  I do know that the paramedics worked hard to save him and they even stopped in to check on him and tell his mom that if one of the paramedics on the scene hadn't been working that day with her special skills they doubt Michael would have survived to make it to the hospital.

Michael broke his femur in 3 places, had 5 broken ribs, part of his face was crushed, horrible horrible road rash everywhere (even his toes, his shoes got ripped off during the accident) and worst of all severe head trauma.  His celphone, calculator watch, beenie, and laptop (besides a cracked screen) escaped without harm but his house key was bent at a 90 deg angle.

These pictures were taken 3 days apart I prefer the first one :)



A couple of side notes on this terrible accident:

The SUV driver was a 19 year old girl who didn't see Mike coming because she was distracted by TEXTING.  For any of you who are still silly enough to text while your driving I beg you to stop.  I hate seeing people do it and when I'm driving with someone who is, it hurts my feelings that they would do that knowing what I have been through. 

Michael was not wearing a helmet when he was in this accident he felt that he was a good enough rider that he would not get in an accident and if he was he could use his biking knowledge to escape serious harm.  But no matter how good you are you can't predict the stupidity of others so just wear a helmet.

That is the story of the accident plus a couple of PSAs you are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have started this. Graham and I are always wondering how you two are doing. We think of you both often and keep you in our prayers. We hope to hear more about how you guys are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also often thought of you. It will be nice to read the blog and stay in touch.
    Megan Keeney

    ReplyDelete