Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Wedding Day

(May 1, 2010)

The day I was going to get married.......

Expectation:
 
 



Reality:

 
I could leave the post like this but there was so much more that happened that day.  To start off my wedding day turned from a day I was looking forward to to a day I was dreading.  I didn't know how I was going to handle the reality of that day, but soon the day was upon me.  There was both good and bad about the day, it was full of contrasts between expectations and reality.
 
Expectation:
Prior to our wedding Mike and I would go to the courthouse to get a marriage license.
 
Reality:
The day before my wedding day Lauri and I went to the Court House so that she could become Michael's ward.  She had to have a lawyer and so did Mike but for some reason Lauri had to pay for both (go figure).  The lawyer presented to the judge that Michael was a completely invalid and that the only thing he could do was open one eye.  I was about to object because Michael could open both eyes but I decided to keep my mouth shut.  Mikes lawyer didn't object and the next thing you know Lauri took control over Michael's life.
 
 
Expectation:
A wedding breakfast with family and friends.
 
Reality:
A not getting married breakfast with family and friends.  My mother and sisters organized special events for me to help me through the day  They started by inviting close friends and family over to my place for a fantastic breakfast. It was very good and I enjoyed all the support. My mom cooks a mean breakfast so it was perfect.
 
 
Expectation:
Michael and I would go to the Salt Lake Temple and be sealed together for time and eternity
 
Reality:
I went to the hospital to spend the day with Michael.
 
 
Expectation:
There would be a big party to celebrate our wedding with those I love the most.
 
Reality:
My sisters, mother, sister-in-laws, and some cousins banded together to give my bedroom a much needed makeover.  They all chipped in and went shopping together to renovate my room.  They had a great time picking things out and somehow with all those opinions didn't have a hard time agreeing.  They had time to shop and decorate my room with some help from Lauri.  This was such a wonderful gesture I really liked my room but I loved that they all had such a good time together doing this for me.
 
 
Expectation:
Mike and I would decide where we would live together.
 
Reality:
On the day I was going to get married we HAD to find a nursing home for Mike to go to.  He wasn't able to stay at the hospital anymore and needed a new place to go.  The thought of having to send him to a nursing home was overwhelming and Lauri didn't want me to have to deal with it on my wedding day so she went alone to find a place.  This was not a pleasant experience for her to say the least but she did it alone for me (what a great future mother-in-law). 
 
 
Expectation:
Mike and I would drive off to our honeymoon after the reception.
 
Reality:
On my way home from the hospital I ran over this crazy nail and got a flat tire in the rain.
 
 
Expectation:
We would go to some fancy schmancy hotel to spend the night.
 
Reality:
When I got home my room was redecorated with all the cute things my family had gotten earlier that day.  My room was supper cute and I loved it.  It was fun having a new room to spend the night in.
 
 
So what was good and bad about this day?  Well to be honest besides the whole not getting married part, most of the day pretty good (well as good as it could be).  Even things that seemed horrible at the time turned out not to be so horrible.   Having my family make my "not getting married day" special actually helped me get though it much better than just ignoring the day.  Lauri had the worst of it, but I'm sure she will be rewarded in heaven for what she did. 
 
It seems like there should be some great lesson to be learned from all of this and that I would now share it with you.  The only thing I can say is that we are stronger than we think we are,  and that love and kindness can go a long way.  Someday I will have a different wedding day that will be more joyful than this one but it will be filled with just as much love.
 
 


3 comments:

  1. A great perspective. I don't know how you got through that day but you handled it like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your positive attitude even in a time of great personal challenge. I admire your strength and faith in a tough time. This blog you are writing is an example to so many of your readers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I helped hang the mirrors in your room that day. And I picked out the black and white lamp. I love you, and admire your strength and courage to go on day after day.

    ReplyDelete